- Preheat the oven to 220C and line a large baking tray.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, rub in the butter until it forms breadcrumbs then add the baking powder and mixed spice Stir in the muscovado sugar, orange zest, small apple chunks and dried fruit.
- Warm the milk to room temperature and pour in the mixture with the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until it forms a sticky dough. Place on a lightly dusted surface and flatten to 3cm thick. Cut out ten 6cm circles and place on the baking tray.
- Mix together the flour with 6-7 tbsp of water until it forms a smooth paste, place in a pipping bag with a 5mm nozzle and pipe crosses on the top the scones. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden and well risen.
- Mix the golden syrup with 1 tbsp of boiling water, using a pastry brush, spread over the scones to give a shiny glaze. These delicious scones are best eaten warm with a spread of butter. Enjoy.