Beautiful Bakewell Tart… By Lucy Simmons
February 11, 2015
We love a traditional bakewell tart at Heart kitchen, soft & sweet almond, a layer of fresh, sticky raspberries encased in a light, crisp butter pastry. Served today with cold cream and vanilla infused custard, perfect.......
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 50 mins
- Yields: 8 Generous
1. To make the pastry rub together the flour, icing sugar and butter until it forms breadcrumbs. In a small bowl mix together the lemon juice, egg and 2 tsp of water and stir it into the flour and butter mix until fully combined (if needed add a few drops of extra water). When the dough comes together wrap it in cling film and put in the fridge for 15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile make the frangipane. Beat the butter and sugar together using an electric whisk, until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and stir in the flour, ground almonds and almond extract. Set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C and roll out the chilled pastry on a floured surface and line a 23cm tart tin leaving the extra pastry hanging over the edge.
4. Line the pastry with some baking paper and baking beans and bake blind for 12-15 minutes until the pastry turns dry. Pour out the baking beans, remove the paper and return to the oven for another 6 minutes until lightly golden. When the pastry is cool, trim the edge to remove the extra pastry.
5. Spread a layer of raspberry jam over the pastry case and sprinkle over the fresh raspberries, pour over the frangipane mixture and smooth over. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes on 180C then remove from the oven sprinkle over the flaked almonds, return to the oven for another 15 minutes or until the top is completely golden. Enjoy.