Chocolate Crunchy Nest Easter Cake … By Lucy Simmons
April 20, 2014
A really cool idea kids..... make this chocolate cake with a crunchy nest perched on top full of yummy easter eggs. It's perfect for the Easter holiday's.
- Prep: 40 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Yields: 8
A delicious rich Easter chocolate cake.
1) Grease and line a deep 8cm loose-bottomed tin. Preheat the oven to 180c
2) Place 175 grams of plain chocolate and milk in a bowl, place over a small saucepan of simmering water and heat gently, stirring consistently until the chocolate has melted. Set aside to cool.
3) In a large bowl cream together the butter and 85 grams of sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the egg yolks, cooled chocolate mix, plain flour and mix together until well combined.
4) In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg whites until they reach stiff peaks and then gradually whisk in the remaining sugar. Carefully fold into the chocolate mixture, folding until well combined, spoon into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes and turn out onto a cooling rack. Make sure it s completely cooled before decorating.
5) Place the remaining chocolate and single cream in a sauce pan and heat gently, stirring until melted. Spread two thirds over the top of the cake. Mix the cornflakes and raisins into the remaining chocolate mix and spoon a ring around the top of the cake making a nest. Leave to set and then decorate your own creative way with the easter eggs and chocolate. I decided to use sugar flowers as well to add more colour.