Chocolate Lamington Cake… By Lucy Simmons
April 29, 2014
This sumptuous chocolate cake with fresh cream is a very traditional Lamington cake. A small chocolate cake covered in cream and desiccated coconut. A very dense cake that is different and everyone will enjoy.
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 40 mins
- Yields: 8
1) Pre-heat the oven to 180oc/ gas mark 4. Grease and line a loaf tin with baking parchment or greaseproof paper.
2) Beat the butter and caster sugar together in a bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Sift the flour and cocoa powder together and fold into the mixture.
3) Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes or until springy. Leave to cool for 5 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack.
4) To make the icing place the chocolate, milk and butter in a heatproof bowl and set over a sauce pan of gently simmering water. Stir until the chocolate has melted. Add the icing sugar and beat until smooth. Leave the icing to cool until it is thick enough to spread, then spread over the cake. Sprinkle over the desiccated coconut and leave to stand until the icing is set.
5) Cut a V shape into the top of the cake. Put the cream in a pipping bag. Pipe the cream either side of the V. I decided to add chocolate buttons to add the extra chocolatey flavour.