Hearty Fruit Tartlets… By Lucy Simmons
February 19, 2015
Great party or celebration tartlets, crisp sweet pastry, filled with silky creme patisserie, adorned with strawberries and a sticky glaze. Perfect for seasonal abundant fruit anytime of the year.....
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Yields: 16 Generous
1. In a large bowl rub together the sieved plain flour and icing sugar with the cubed butter until it forms a breadcrumb texture. Add the egg yolk and rub in using hands until it starts to form a soft silky dough, if it does not form a dough then add a few drops of iced cold water to bring the mixture together. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it becomes very smooth. Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for 10-20 minutes.
2. Pre heat the oven to 180C. When the pastry has chilled it can be rolled out on a floured surface. Separate the dough into little balls and roll out into circles, gently place them in the loose bottomed tart tins and cut off the extra pastry. Line the tartlets with some baking paper and weigh it down with few baking beans, place in the oven for 15 minutes or until the sides turn golden.
3. For the crème pâtissière, heat the milk in a large pan until it is just boiling. In a small bowl whisk together the egg yolks, caster sugar and plain flour. Pour the milk into the egg mixture and keep whisking gently to avoid scrambling the eggs. Pour the mixture back into a saucepan and stir constantly until the mixture thickens. When the mixture has thickened pour back into a bowl to cool slightly, covering with cling film to stop a skin forming.
4. Add the jam to the sauce pan and heat for about 3 minutes until the jam is more pliable. For the strawberries cut into thin slices and cut a V out the top of strawberry to create a heart.
5. Spoon the crème pâtissière into the pastry cases and arrange the strawberries over the top, brush the warmed jam over the top for a silky glistening shine. Enjoy.