Lemon…. Bakewell Tart. By Lucy Simmons
June 13, 2015
Fancy an explosion of lemon...... Lemon bakewell tart, crisp short sweet pastry, a layer of lemon curd with a soft spongy almond & lemon filling, a scattering of almonds and baked to perfection, simple and totally delicious..........
- Prep: 40 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Yields: 6 Medium
1. In a food processor blitz together the butter and lemon zest until the butter looks smooth and pale. Beat in the icing sugar until light and creamy. Add the egg yolk with 1 tbsp of water and beat again, then add the plain flour until it starts to come together.
2. On a lightly floured surface bring the pastry together into a disc, wrap in cling film and leave to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180 fan/ gas 6. You can either make 6 mini or 1 large tart.
4. Roll out the pastry and either lay it in 6, 10cm x 2cm loose bottomed tartlet tins or a 19 x 2 cm loose bottomed tart tin and press the pastry around the edges. If there are any cracks, use the left over pastry to cover them up. Return to the fridge while making the filling.
5. Beat together the butter, lemon zest & sugar until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time with spoonfuls of ground almonds and when all the eggs have been added, add the rest of the ground almonds with the flour and beat until pale and creamy.
6. Fill the pastry case/s with a thin layer of lemon curd or marmalade and then cover with the cake topping and sprinkle over some flaked almonds, place on a baking tray and cook for 20 minutes until the top is a lovely golden brown colour. Serve warm with a dusting of icing sugar and a splash of cream. Enjoy.