- Meringues: Place the sugar on a lined baking dish in an oven set at 200c, bake for 5 minutes. Meanwhile place the egg whites in a large metal bowl and whisk on a low speed to start, increase the speed and whisk until the mixture forms stiff peaks. Remove the sugar from the oven and turn down to 100C. Place a spoonful of sugar into the egg whites while still beating. Repeat and once all the sugar has been added whisk for a further 5-7 minutes until the egg whites are smooth.
- In a large plastic pipping bag paint the yellow food colouring in stripes up the side with a circle fitted nozzle. Place the meringue mixture into the piping bag and pipe blobs onto a lined baking tray, bake for 30-50 minutes until the meringues have dried they can be lifted off the baking tray.
- Pastry: In a large bowl mix together the flour and icing sugar. Rub in the chilled butted until breadcrumbs are formed, add the egg yolks and mix using a wooden spoon Add 2-3 tbsp of water and mix until it comes together, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Meanwhile make the filling...
- Filling: In a jug or a bowl whisk together all the filling ingredients except for the zest, when all the ingredients have combined stir in the zest.
- Roll the pastry out to about 1.5 cm thickness and line a 23cm tart tin, pressing it against the sides carefully. Trim off some of the excess and leave a bit of an overlay, chill for another 30 minutes. Heat the oven to 160C, remove the pastry filled tin from the fridge and fill with a layer of baking parchment weighted down with baking beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes then remove the baking beans and bake for another 20 minutes. Pour in the lemon filling and bake for another 30-35 minutes until the filling has set. Leave to cool then place the meringues on top and dust with some icing sugar and served with whipped cream. Enjoy!