Mac n Mini Meaty Balls With Tomato & Mozzarella… By Lucy Simmons
August 15, 2015
A truly simple, delicious & hearty evening supper. Macaroni with a white & cheesy coating in a rich & herby tomato meatball studded sauce, scattered with ripped mozzarella and a sprinkling of parsley...........
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 1 hr 5 mins
- Yields: 6 Generous
1. Cook the macaroni following the instructions on the packaging.
2. Making the tomato sauce: Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan with a lid, add the onion and fry for 5 minutes until golden. Stir in the garlic, rosemary and 1 tsp of salt and cook for 1 minute stirring so that the garlic doesn't burn. Add the tomatoes with a pinch of sugar and leave to simmer gently whilst making the meatballs and white sauce.
3. In a large bowl mix together all the ingredients needed to make the meatballs and season with salt and pepper, if the mixture is dry and not coming together add a bit more milk. Roll the meat into mini meatballs about the size of a grape. Arrange the meatballs in the tomato sauce and cook for 30 minutes stirring gently.
4. To make the cheese sauce place the milk, butter and flour into a saucepan and keep stirring until it starts to thicken. Once thick take it off the heat and add the cheese, keep whisking to a smooth sauce. Pour this mixture over the macaroni and stir until all the macaroni is coated.
5. Preheat the oven to 180C. Pour the macaroni cheese mixture into a large baking dish and scatter over the ripped mozzarella. Spoon over the meatballs and tomato sauce, mixing together the two layers, add another handful of ripped mozzarella. Bake for 20-30 minutes until the top is golden and bubbling, serve immediately. Enjoy.