- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line 2 x 8inch cake tins and set aside for later.
- Mix together the malted chocolate drinking powder and cocoa with 2 tbsp of warm water until they form a smooth paste.
- In a large bowl beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then beat in the chocolate paste. Next beat in the eggs with the flour and baking powder until the mixture is a smooth batter. Separate the mixture evenly between the two tins and leave a dip in the centre of the cake - this will help for an even rise.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or when you insert a skewer it comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- Icing: Mix together the malted chocolate powder and hot milk. Beat together the icing sugar and butter until smooth and pale, beat in the hot milk mixture and melted chocolate until all combined. Add the water to make the icing nice and glossy.
- Sandwich the two cakes together with half the icing then spread the remaining icing on top. Put the Maltesers into the icing on top of the cake and dust with a scattering of icing sugar. Enjoy.