Marmalade Caramelised Red Onion, Leeks, Smoky Bacon & Gruyere Tart… By Lucy Simmons
November 13, 2014
A epic combination! Caramelised marmalade onions, smoky bacon, sweet gruyere, leeks and a hint of paprika heat. A truly simple supper to share on a chilly winter evening. Today served with roasted sweet potato chips. Enjoy
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- Yields: 6 Generous
A truly simple supper to serve on a chilly evening, today we served the tart with extra red onion marmalade and roasted sweet potato chips.
Short crust pastry.
- To make the pastry add the flour and butter to a food processor, pulse until it reaches light breadcrumbs, add 4 tbsp of water to the processor and pulse to form a smooth dough, add a little more water if needed.
- Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ gas mark 6. Grease the pastry tin with some butter on the bottom and sides. Roll out the pastry and line the tin, fill with baking beans on a sheet of greaseproof paper (blind baking) and bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Place the onions in a small pan with 2 tbsp of marmalade and a splash of oil and cook with the lid off for 10-15 until they are soft and have caramelized.
- Place the leeks in a saucepan with the 2 tbsp of butter and cook until they are soft, this will take 10-15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a frying pan with a drizzle of oil, fry the smoky bacon until it has turned golden brown & crispy, add the leeks onion and smoked paprika, frying it all together for a couple of minutes. Add this delicious mixture to the tart case.
- In a jug measure out 150ml of double cream and 50ml of full-fat milk with 3 eggs, whisk together and add half of the grated cheese. Pour this mixture over the tart with the remaining grated cheese then place in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the top is golden brown.