Millionaire Chocolate Brownies…And more Brownies For Later By Lucy Simmons
December 8, 2015
Imagine this....Rich gooey chocolate brownie, christened with a golden layer of caramel, topped with rich dark chocolate ganache.........
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Yields: 20 Small
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line two 16 x 20 cm high sided baking tins, leaving the greaseproof paper higher than the sides of the tins.
- In a large bowl mix together the melted butter, sugar and vanilla extract then beat in the eggs until fully combined. Sieve in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and combine well . Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Separate the mixture between the two tins - this will give two batches of brownies one to leave plain and the other to make into the millionaire brownies. Bake for 25 minutes, the middle should be nice and gooey. Leave in their tins to cool and then turn out one of the brownies, leaving the other in its tin ready to add the caramel and chocolate layers.
- Salted caramel: In a medium saucepan melt the sugar and water, move the pan around so that the water covers all the sugar and place over a medium to low heat, melt the sugar and then turn the heat up a bit so that the sugar starts to cook and turn a lovely golden colour. Place the cream in the microwave for 20 - 30 seconds so it reaches room temperature. When the sugar has turned golden, remove from the heat and pour in the warmed cream and whisking briskly. Be careful as the mixture will start to bubble and hiss. Place the pan back on the heat and keep stirring ensuring that any crystallised sugar has melted. Add the butter and keep stirring until the caramel is a lovely golden colour, pour into a bowl and leave to cool for 10 minutes, add the salt to taste.
- Pour the caramel over the cooled brownie in the tin and place in the fridge until the caramel has set.
- Melt the chocolate over a pan of simmering water, when it has melted take off the heat and leave to cool for a bit, keep stirring so that it doesn't set. Pour the chocolate over the set caramel and cool in the fridge until set.
- Take the brownie out 10 minutes before serving as this will make it easier to cut. The other brownie can be cut in to squares once cooled too. Enjoy.