Orange And Cranberry Heart Cake… By Lucy Simmons
December 16, 2014
I made this delightful festive inspired cake for the Christmas Bake-Off at the Cookham Christmas Fare. It is a perfect cake for Christmas time, rich cranberries soaked in orange, topped with a cinnamon mascarpone cream. Oh yes ........ and I was awarded 1st in the Bake Off, I'm very happy.
- Prep: 40 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Yields: 10 Medium
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Grease and line a heart shaped baking tin. Soak the dried cranberries in the juice of an orange for an hour, this really plumps them up.
2. Beat together the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with either a wooden spoon or an electric mixer. Beat until it becomes pale and fluffy. Then slowly beat in the eggs a bit at a time, until combined (if the mixture curdles add a little tbsp of the flour).
3. Stir in the flour, orange zest, orange extract and soaked cranberries (to stop the cranberries from sinking dust them in flour).
4. Pour the mixture in the heart shaped tin and put in the oven to bake for 25-30 minutes. Leave to cool and turn out onto a wire rack.
5. To make the icing place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and keep adding the ingredients until it reaches a stage when you think it is a perfect consistency. Then spread on the cake when it is completely cooled. Arrange the sticks and pretzels on top of the cake together with the green and red icing cut out as holly and finish it off with a sprinkle of cocoa powder. Enjoy.