Sticky Orange Cake… By Lucy Simmons
January 30, 2015
A beautiful burst of sunshine, sweet orange, sticky and totally moorish as the syrupy juices infuse the cake and so perfect for sharing.
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Yields: 10 Medium
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease and line two 20cm cake tins.
2. Place all the cake ingredients into a large bowl and mix together until all combined, using a hand or electric whisk. Beat until smooth. Save some orange zest for the topping.
3. Divide the mixture between the cake tins and place in the oven for 20 minutes. The cake will turn a golden colour, to check if it is cooked test it with a cocktail stick, it should come out clean.
4. To make the icing beat together the butter and icing sugar then add the orange zest. If the icing is too soft place it in the fridge until it sets a bit more.
5. To make the glaze put the sugar and orange juice in a saucepan and heat on a medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
6. When the cakes are cooling, prick them all over with a cocktail stick, using a pastry brush to brush over the glaze on both cakes.
7. When the cake is completely cooled spread the orange cream in the middle and on top. Sprinkle with finely grated orange zest. Enjoy the orange explosion on your taste buds.
From Simon, I love subbing the orange buttercream for a soured cream, by simply adding the sifted icing sugar to soured cream, a hint of reserved orange juice and flecks of finely grated orange zest.