Towering Black Forest Gateau… By Lucy Simmons
May 9, 2016
A true classic, black forest gateaux, chocolate, cherry brandy, caramel, kirsch, cherries, rich chocolate cake, vanilla cream & cherry compote...whats not to love......
- Prep: 55 mins
- Cook: 25 mins
- Yields: 14 Large
- Start by making the caramel so it will set before you can use as a decoration: in a medium sauce pan place the 150g of sugar with the 4 tbsp of water, and place over a medium heat and melt gently, leave until it turns a nice golden colour, don't stir the mixture just swirl the pan and brush the sides of the pan with water. Pour the golden caramel onto a baking tray on a piece of baking parchment, leave to cool.
- Melt the 60g of chocolate over a pan of simmering water and once melted take off the heat and stir in another 60g of chocolate, pour a thin layer of chocolate onto another baking tray with a sheet of baking paper and place in the fridge.
- In a small sauce pan mix the jam, dried cherries and kirsch over a medium heat and bring to the boil, leave to simmer for 6-8 minutes. Pour into a clean bowl and leave too cool.
- Preheat the oven to 170C, grease and line 3 x 7 inch cake tins.
- Beat together all of the cake ingredients in a large bowl, until light and fluffy. Pour the cake mixture equally between the cake tins and bake for 25 minutes. They should be well risen and when inserting a skewer it should come out clean. Turn out onto a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- When cooled cut the cakes in half and pour 2 tsp of cherry brandy over each cake.
- Beat the cream until it forms a soft- medium peak.
- Place one layer of cake onto a cake stand and spread a layer of cream also spoon over some cherry jam and spread so the whole cake is covered, grate over the remaining chocolate, place another cake layer on and repeat this process for the next 5 layers of cake, you may need to use some support such as dowels. When you get to the top layer, spread over a layer of cream and place some in a pipping bag with a star tip nozzle and pipe stars around the cake, place the fresh cherries on the stars. Break the caramel into shards as well as the chocolate and arrange around the top of the cake, finish off with some more grated chocolate. Enjoy.